Home is our Place to Relax and Have Fun
Early on we realized the need to incorporate fun in every home. We are good at keeping the home cleaner with less toxins, but it doesn’t feel like home without some extraordinary elements of fun. No matter how the day goes; bringing fun elements into our home creates an environment we all enjoy.
In the beginning, we had 5 children under 8 years old. We couldn’t afford to go to a lot of places, but we could build things and make our home fun.
Incorporating Themes from a Favorite Book or Movie
Our boys loved CS Lewis’, Chronicles of Narnia, so we built the elements into their bedroom.
- Dawn Treader took place on a ship. This allowed us to incorporate bunkbeds into this large iconic part of the book.
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is the flagship book in the series. There are so many scenes to create, but in the end, we decide to install the famous lamp post. This small element brought the story book to life.
- There are many talented artists that can paint a mural. It’s unbelievable how much a mural can transform a space.
- The Magician’s Nephew inspired a ceiling mobile of all the worlds which we found at IKEA.
Creating a Bit of Play Into Home
- If you have a deck, try installing a slide along with stairs, a swing or hammock in the bedroom.It’s bringing the outside in and creating fun into a child’s space.
- Decorate an area inside the house with a unique part of the home (we found an old oil chimney in this home).
- Find ways to add depth using existing or hidden old materials. We find buried treasure in original wood planks underneath the ceiling drywall. Everyone loves to tell the story and remember.
Fun ideas and designs can be incorporated on any budget. However, the key is to find what brings joy to your family and get creative.
Finding great ways to have fun in life requires intentional thought. We find the extra effort pays off with great memories, and of course, more built-in fun at home.